I suggest you ...

Need alternatives to PayPal for paid membership, something like Google Wallet.

I want to renew my membership to Weather Underground, however, I will not use Pay Pal. An alternative like Google Wallet would be much better. I have been a member for about 5 years and want to continue. Please consider my suggestion.

46 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    OLeeOLee shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: accept payments other than PayPal  ·   · 
    StraydogStraydog shared a merged idea: Bring back credit card payment option without Paypal.  ·   · 
    glamorousjeanglamorousjean shared a merged idea: Take another look at allowing only paypal for payment of membership fee. I *never* use paypal and don't like being forced to.  ·   · 

Hello — We’ve heard a lot of different feedback about payment methods, and we are considering adding something like Google Wallet. Thank you for your feedback, we’re working hard to make it easier to use our service.

Best,
    Angela

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more vote against requiring paypal account. There are any number of websites that have Paypal collect credit card payments without requiring that you create a Paypal account.

I've been a member of WeatherUnderground for 12 years and my account is coming up for renewal. If Paypal is the only option, I won't ever renew again.

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not take credit cards like everyone else does? I've been a paid member for years but don't have Paypal and don't want it and likely won't go through the hassle.

Everybody on the web takes credit cards, so what's up with wunderground?

• Bob ABob A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can pay with a credit card without a paypal account on the paypal website. Whether you know it or not, many websites use PayPal for their payment processor on the back-end of their software.

• Chuck CharltonChuck Charlton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've never had a Paypal account, or Google Wallet, or any of those things, and I'm highly unlikely to get one. I walk up Kearny Street a couple of times a month. Could I stop by and give somebody a $5 bill?

• mbrutonmbruton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WU is really screwing itself with the new payment terms - I've been a member for years but am completely frustrated with the failure of the payment system.

• Jim PadgettJim Padgett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Back went PayPal started out I had a bad experience with them and refuse to use their service ever. I would like to join but there has to be a compromise and allow a wider range of payment options. It's just a matter of providing a service. I rely on WU daily and would like to contribute to the cause and show my appreciation for a job well done.

• makettlesmakettles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't plan to renew my account at all when it expires. The new site is a disaster, and I plan to find a site that doesn't require a giant instruction manual. The classic site worked just fine until you guys screwed things up!!

• TankTank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used PayPal and my account has been charged. However my status still shows expired and I'm still getting adds.
        How long til I'm in?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been a Wunderground member for many years. But now you are preventing me from enjoying all of your weather wonderfulness. Please bring back credit card payments.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had a Pay Pal account once and it was hacked. I will not go back to using it. Please bring back credit card payment.

• CumulusNimbusCumulusNimbus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found this thread while looking for a way to pay Wunderground, as when I click the upgrade link, It says that I already appear to be a member, though I am not a paid member. Unfortunately, now that I know that PayPal is the only payment method, I won't bother. I do not use PayPal for any reason, as they are of absolutely NO help when you have an issue. Sorry Wunderground but nothing is worth subjecting my financials to PayPal.

• grandpafitzgrandpafitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. I will not resubscribe so long as I must deal with Paypal or any other third party who wants to get its hooks in to my financial dealings.

• nodaknodak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, too, will not use PayPal. I have been a member of Weather Underground since its first year. PayPal caused a compromise in my private information when using it for another transaction about a year ago, resulting in having to completely dump all my account information everywhere. I do not trust them. I'm sorry, but I will not renew my subscription this way. Too bad. I use this site constantly to track severe storms and tornadoes in my area.

• FZFZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Matt, I disputed my membership payment through PayPal and am getting my $ back. After several weeks of no return email from wunderground, I decided no one was home. Even the reset password email did not work as of 2 weeks ago. I quit trying.

• JelectJelect commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also renewed with paypal a week ago, but I still have ads. I have emailed wunderground and there is no response. Do I have to put this into dispute through paypal?

• FZFZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just renewed with PayPal. Sure, Weather Underground has my money and I have a receipt, but I still have ads. Did the sign out / sign in thing, still have ads. Hello, anyone home out there? The Contact Support link does nothing.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base