How can we improve the PWS service?

Allow more flexible selections for units (e.g. m/s, knots, etc.)

example: "In the UK, we use Celsius and mph as our main units for wind and temperature, but the options are Fahrenheit and mph, or Celsius and km/h. It would be good to have 'true' English units that are standard here in the UK."

139 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    takeotoshitakeotoshi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    JohnnygillJohnnygill shared a merged idea: Need to be able to display wind in Knots!!  ·   · 
    damiagodamiago shared a merged idea: Several choices for displaying wind speed in metric system  ·   · 
    KalenSKalenS shared a merged idea: English Units  ·   · 
    under review  ·  angelafritzangelafritz responded  · 

I’ve merged some similar ideas — it sounds like the general consensus is that we should allow more flexible options for units. It needs to be more than just “English” or “metric.”

—Angela

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ken BurtKen Burt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone agrees that Wunderground as a worldwide provider of information gleaned from PWS is second to none! Otherwise they would not be here bemoaning those little things that annoy them. However I must agree that a drop down selection list for wind speed type - knots, m/sec, mph -; AND a drop down selection list for temperature - celcius, farenheit-; AND a drop down selection list for pressure type - millibars, etc - rather than a set selection will please an awful lot of your users (including me !). BTW i love the iPad app thanks for all the hard work.

• johnnyWTjohnnyWT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on guys.... geez. Its only a conversion option!! Wunderstation is brilliant, and allows a variety of options, but only available for IPAD ....not even iphone... PLEASE GET THE FEATURE ENABLED!!!

• bonkobonko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can remember the chioce English,metric or both what a nice idea even have that chioce back

• jabce85jabce85 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add more functionality. This needs to also be tied to the daily email forecasts that are sent out. Currently, those units do not match my user settings.

• EikenEiken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add Meters Pr. Second.. We use that in the whole scandinavia. Comeon how hard can it be, please look a bit more far than your own english countries.

• John HanigJohn Hanig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely would like to see a possibility of viewing wind speed in knots as an option, just as we can currently choose between displaying temperature in Fahrenheit and Celsius scales.

• Ron KleverlaanRon Kleverlaan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wind in KNOTS is indeed a MUST for windsurfers and other watersports as well as for aviation, just added my PWS especially for the windsurf and watersport community here, km/h is NOT a good unit to display wind. Thanks for adding this, hope we will see the knots appearing soon!

• MasterZapMasterZap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And at minimum the nordic countries ALWAYS use "meter/second" when discussing wind speeds. kph (more correctly written as km/h) is only used for speed of things like cars e.t.c. NOT wind.

• davedave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to use the British measurement, is this going to be done in the near future?

• DavePickDavePick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like see a more flexible selection of units. I find the U.S. standard of inHg for barometric pressure horrible. In all other apps, and websites I visit I use millibars exclusively for barometric pressure. If not available on an app or website, I don't use it. Weather Underground is the only remaining website/app that I still use displaying in inHg. I hope you will soon have a millibar option - getting impatient.

• GrahamGraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that more choice of units is urgently needed. As an aviator, I use knots for wind and Celsius (centigrade) for temperature. This is the agreed aviation standard worldwide (only a very small number of countries have all metric units). This shouldn't be hard to arrange.

My memory might be deceiving me but I think that when I first joined the Weather Underground many years ago, it was possible then.

Regards, Graham

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base