How can we improve the PWS service?

When quality control detects an error it would be great if they would refer to a specific entry with date/time.

When quality control detects an error it would be great if they would refer to a specific entry with date/time. I went over 20 days of data only to find no temperature errors!

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    tomarmatomarma shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FizzyDintFizzyDint commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As with others I've had errors messages. I can't find any erroneous data on my side. A date and time would certainly help track down genuine errors but I think there's bugs in WU QC code.

• OhanaFarmOhanaFarm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When looking at "My PWS" I noticed a QC warning that an errant temperature was detected and that it was not going to use my station. I have gone over the logs for the last 6 months and haven't detected any temperatures that were out of the expected range. How does one go about getting more information on the detected reading (date/time, etc.) How does one go about getting their data blessed again? PWS KDEDOVER7

• ThatchamWeatherThatchamWeather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had one of these erroneous emails today. http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ITHATCHA1 It arrived at 08:30(GMT) on 2nd Dec. I see no error or even a significant change (6.4'C to 9.4'C in 13 hours), but I also do not know when it allegedly occurred either.

At the same time, the URL above tells me I had a date/Time error and DST error. Guess when you think it happened? Yes, when the clocks changed from BST to GMT! I do run a piece of software that keeps my PC clocks within a few milliseconds. (meinberg NTP). Therefore I suggest your clock/DST watching system is flawed for users in the UK. It bugs me to have to confirm these events as errors!

I don't mind legitimate emails, but false alarms?

Regards,
        Steve
        Associate Fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society

p.s. I also act as a quality control Admin for AWEKAS, so do know errors can occur, but I assume this is some automated system you are trying to implement which still has bugs.

• bluegrassguitarbluegrassguitar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

He did copy the notification...read his post and you will see it.

I just got the same QC notification after I had lost internet connection for 15 minutes. My question is, how do you remove the notification? It's supposed to go away if I click the "confirm errors for this station" button but that has no effect. The last time this happened, it took a week to remove it.

• NelsonCountyLifeNelsonCountyLife commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We got this message from WU over weekend for one of our stations on a nearby mountain at 3500'.

"The Weather Underground PWS network has detected that your personal weather station (ID #KVAWINTE1) has failed on our QC system.

The thermometer sensor on your weather station has reported temperatures that disagree with surrounding stations. Please make sure your thermometer is not in direct sunlight and is well-ventilated. For more information, see our guidelines on installing thermometers: Weather Station Installation Guidelines.

Your station will not be used for current conditions on the forecast page, and will not appear on WunderMap. This message is to help you report accurate information.

For more details and information about troubleshooting visit our PWS wiki page: http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Personal_Weather_Stations
        If you think this email is in error, please send an email to help@wunderground.com.

Thank you,

- The Weather Underground Staff"

The problem here, our station is working perfectly, there's actually a temperature inversion happening (they do often here) and higher up readings are warmer than the valley portions surrounding us. Our data now doesn't show up on maps or available stations.

We have been sending data to WU for over 5 years and generally have had few problem, but as of late, errors, geographic errors, and more seem to be happening regularly.

Can you help make your automatic system stop eliminating our station when it's working perfectly fine?

Thanks in advance!
        Tommy

Feedback and Knowledge Base