How can we improve the PWS service?

Edwards Pond weather station doesn't appear in list, but exists and can be found

The Edwards Pond station in Chapel Hill, NC no longer appears in the list of weather stations, but it still exists. I know this because since I previously set it as my default, and you show it when I log in. Why is it missing from the list?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MacmcfMacmcf shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • angelafritzAdminangelafritz (Product Manager, Weather Underground) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We only send those emails when your station is actually not sending data. We do not send those emails when your station has been flagged for QC.

Our QC algorithm looks at the stations around you to determine if you're within a reasonable range of temperature. So, it has little to do with your PWS's standard deviation. It has to do with the standard deviation of all the stations around you.

Like I say, this definitely seems like a radiation problem. I think if you work on shading your station, you will be in better shape.

• kc8wcckc8wcc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These are my MADIS averages for the last 6 months;

Barometer
        Average barometer error: 0.1 milliBars
        Error standard deviation: 0.5 milliBars
        Worst daily standard deviation: 2.6 milliBars

Temperature
        24 hours Day time Night time
        Average temperature error -0.2 °F 0.2 °F -0.6 °F
        Error standard deviation 2.4 °F 3.2 °F 1.4 °F

Dewpoint
        24 hours Day time Night time
        Average dewpoint error 0.3 °F -0.2 °F 0.8 °F
        Error standard deviation 2.4 °F 2.7 °F 1.9 °F

Is this unexceptionable error?

BTW, I removed the -5 offset because now my station is reporting exactly 5 degrees lower then the airport 5 miles to my west.

I just want to get this cleared up one way or the other. Are we to expect emails like "your station hasn't sent data for the last 2 hours" if the data is out of spec somehow? This isn't happening when the data is high, its a brief spike in the morning on sunny days for a couple months in the winter/spring as the sun angle gets higher. It already has 2 sun shields. As I said, been sending you data 7-8 years now Sensor hasn't moved an inch. This loss of communications happens in the overnight hours when the data is fine. Location is an issue but not easily solvable in my situation. I'll take action if I understand the problem. The only reason I even joined this thread was because I saw someone else that was experiencing a similar issue. I had no idea Wunderground would simply stop taking the feeds, not notify the station operator why, then email the station operator with a we lost communications for 2 hrs from your station email, no mention what-so-ever about data quality check failures. The email encourages you to visit the link to check and see if your data is there, which it is, hence the total confusion.

Thanks

• angelafritzAdminangelafritz (Product Manager, Weather Underground) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@kc8wcc -- Yes it looks to me like it's a siting problem. Maybe a radiation shield will help, too. I think it would be a better solution data-wise than adding the correction, since the temperature is only a problem when the sun is hitting the PWS directly.

In the future, a better way to get assistance with PWS issues is to email help@wunderground.com. The feedback forums are monitored for feedback on web products but not necessarily for technical trouble. We won't always see your issues if you post them here.

• MacmcfMacmcf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see that Edwards Pond is missing again. My experience is that this station is seldom, if ever, badly off the mark relative to our local conditions. I wish there were some way to avoid second-guessing it.

Then why is MADIS passing my data as within exceptable ranges - http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/AT362
        Yes, we do have a site issue during certain times of the year with sun angles for a couple of hours in the mornings on sunny days for a couple of months, its not consistently off. My site situation doesn't allow for correcting this much. It may overshoot a bit in the morning but the rest of the time its really close to the MADIS graph. And this is the first and only time Wunderground has ever informed me in any way that they felt my data was out of specs. There are a LOT of other stations listed that are much worse as well. I look over the other station in the area quite regularly, some of them report data that is so far off its ridiculous. I just get emails from Wunderground saying

The Weather Underground PWS network has detected that your personal weather station (ID #KMIAUBUR3) has not reported to www.wunderground.com for more than 2 hours.
        Please check that your station is operational by visiting your station's settings here: http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/mypws
        For more details and information about troubleshooting visit our PWS wiki page: http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Personal_Weather_Stations
        We want to ensure that you are informed on the status of your weather station so you can continue to receive accurate data from Weather Underground.

Thank you,
        - The Weather Underground Staff
        and then

Congratulations! Your personal weather station (ID #KMIAUBUR3) is back online!
        You can see your PWS data here: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMIAUBUR3

Thank you,
        - The Weather Underground Staff

Don't see anything about my data being out of specs. Says that you haven't gotten data for over 2hrs even though you have been getting it.

Either way, I just put -5ºF of offset on the sensor so we'll see how MADIS deals with that, next they'll be telling me I'm too cold.

Thank You for at least informing me of WHY since I've pulled most of my hair out trying to figure this out for the last 6 months, hours per day. I would have shut the station down 6 months ago if I knew this was what was going on. I've sunk a boat load of time and $$$ into contributing to Wunderground and have recommended it far and wide.

Thanks

@kc8wcc Unfortunately the reason you can't find your station in the list is because we're removing it because of bad data. We make every effort to ensure that the stations that our customers see have the best data possible, which is why we remove them from the list if they fail our quality control. If you look at the neighboring stations, your PWS is consistently running 5-10 degrees too warm. If you would like help with troubleshooting this issue, you can submit a ticket to help@wunderground.com.

More testing this morning after Wunderground again stopped displaying my data and nothing I do reset wise fixes it now. But I found more interesting stuff. If I go to the my observations page for my site http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMIAUBUR3 and then click the "current conditions" http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=42.673%2C-83.230&sp=KMIAUBUR3 I get a normal forecast page with my weather stations data fully populated BUT my station does not show up in the PWS list at the bottom of the page. If I do a forecast for my zip-code I don't see my station either. So Wunderground has all my observations, they are receiving them just fine, they are simply losing my station in their search database for whatever reason. Nothing left to try here. Oh look, there it is again, just popped back in there after oh 4 hrs of messing with this link and that link. This has become a daily routine. Wunderground, are you guys having database issues? Is this something on your end that I'm wasting my time chasing ghosts? Sure would be nice to get a reply on this with a YES we are so I can go back to my life and not spend hours per day trying to get this to work when it's not within my control.

This happens almost daily with my station as well for about the past 6 months, its happened before but not this consistently and has happened thru several VWS updates. Been uploading data for 7-8 years now. My station, KMIAUBUR3 just stops showing up on Wunderground for no apparent reason. I can pull up Virtual Weather Stations software which is running fine, click the wunderground tab then sign up and setting tab and then click the view your observations button, the browser opens and the observations are all present and up to the minute but it still doesn't show on Wunderground's pages. I can click upload now all day long and it sends the data, it shows up in my observations page which Wunderground is generating yet the station doesn't show on the forecast page or in the PWS list. I get emails day after day from Wunderground saying my station is down yet again; I go to my observations and they are all present and up to the minute so Wunderground has the data. The only way I have found to solve this is to upload the entire archive, over 30,000 data points. Takes about 30 minutes and then magically the station re-appears. Restarting VWS software doesn't work, rebooting the computer doesn't work, ONLY re-uploading the entire archive fixes the issue. What a waste of bandwidth. I'm running VWS 14.01 p46. My data is also going out on APRS via 2 meter RF and uploading via VWSaprs and it always works, whether my station shows up on Wunderground or not. They use the txt file the VWS generates. My data shows up at CWOP consistently as well as Find-U, only Wunderground stops displaying my station, removes it from the active list completely. Yet I can click show my data at http://www.wunderground.com//weatherstation/StationData.php?ID=KMIAUBUR3 and the data is up to the minute correct every time. I'm completely stumped. I'm about ready to just turn off the Wunderground upload, I'm spending so much time trying to keep this thing uploading to Wunderground its not worth contributing. Sometimes it makes it a couple of days before it stops, sometimes 12 hrs and almost always in the am hours after midnight EST.

Feedback and Knowledge Base