How can we improve the WunderPhotos?

Do not require us to put location

Yet another thing you guys have changed within the last few years that drives me nuts. You used to be able to upload photos without having to put the location where they were taken. If it's a personal Weather Station I can understand location information is important but for a photo? Absolutely not. I can't understand why location is required for something it's really not necessary. Unless you guys are using that info for wrong reasons. Besides knowing where a PWS is you don't need to know the location or where someone lives.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mckTXawsmckTXaws shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • WeatherAddictWeatherAddict commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Location is one of the first things I look for when viewing a photo, and the photo wouldn't mean very much to me if that was missing.

• BriarCraftBriarCraft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I certainly want to know what I'm looking at. First and most important is location! Frankly, if the photographer can't be bothered to add some additional info in the caption as well, I seldom bother to comment or rate. Repeat, I want to know what I'm looking at.

• baxtheweathermanbaxtheweatherman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like when people don't put a location for landmarks and public places, but I agree that they don't need them for your home. You could at least put the state the picture was taken in.

• AstrometeorAstrometeor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't use much of anything really, but I try to know stuff before commenting. Yeah, didn't know about Flickr. I see your point then, I just don't see how they could be using the location negatively, apart from maybe giving it away to advertising companies and such, but those can be blocked. Now I'm in the middle of the fence on this issue. If you don't think it's necessary, then I guess they should make it an option.

• mckTXawsmckTXaws commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I don't really know of any site that doesn't include location" I take it you don't use Flickr? If it's picture of clouds storms and weather related items then location might be important but for other items it's not necessary.

• AstrometeorAstrometeor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It may not be necessary, but most of us like to know where the picture was taken. Like I said, location is part of the picture, I don't really know of any site that doesn't include location. Why would they be using the location info for wrong reasons? There's already sites like Google or companies like Apple that track your precise movements. I doubt that WU would engage in such.

• mckTXawsmckTXaws commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the photo was taken in a backyard location isn't necessary. Besides for a personal weather station that info shouldn't be required IMHO.

Feedback and Knowledge Base