This is not an idea, it is a defect report about the animated radar.
I fell in love with Weather Underground because of its Wundermap. I showed it to all my friends, and when the Kansas skies would open up the first thing I would do is get KAKE and KSN weather on the TV, and get wundermap going on my laptop. I would configure wundermap to show me no weather stations, the animated radar, the watches/warnings with 30% opacity, and enable stormtracks. Everything else was left as default.
This setup would show me all 3 layers for every radar frame as it happened, including the warnings, stormtracks, and radar. It worked flawlessly in Firefox and displayed in great visual detail the evolution of the weather system.
Now with the new system this setup has become impossible to operate, and its been broken for quite some time. Here is my list:
1. Smoothing is only done on the last frame
2. The radar "blanks" when it is going back to the beginning of the loop, leaving a discontinuous non-cohesive idea of the evolution of the storm
3. Stormtracks are only visible on the very last frame of radar output.
4. Some frames appear to get lost immediately before the "Current Conditions" frame, again leading to difficulty in understanding the radar.
Due to these issues, I no longer find it necessary to open up the wundermap. KAKE and KSN news are going to get me everything I need, and I will just have to be satisfied with their view of the world, because it appears to me that Weather Underground is not interested in correcting the shortcommings in their flagship product.
There are two major problems at play here -
1. The Radar imagery on WunderMap, and the way it is all put together, needs work. We are working on this, and getting better Radar imagery. When this is done (my guess is, a couple of months from now), we will have higher resolution and the blanking problem will go away.
2. The animation and time controls on WunderMap need work. We are in the final stages of developing new time controls for WunderMap. Stay tuned.
The default animation loop for Radar appears to be working fine for most users. Please let me us know if that is not the case for you.
We are also undertaking a project to simplify the time controls on WunderMap. Would you be willing to participate in a remote feedback session about WunderMap time controls?
Just to add...
Storm tracks either display only on the current frame, or are static and don't change with the cloud movement.
Using NEXRAD, they don't have a problem displaying storm tracks so I will be using them instead.
WU... you really screwed up your maps!