What's your idea for improving the WunderMap?

WunderMap Disappointment

I don't have an idea, I just wanted to express my extreme disappointment in Wundermap. I live in a hurricane prone area and this used to be my go to tool for weather tracking. However, something has changed in the last year and Wundermap is virtually unusable now. The animation is jumpy and that is only during the rare occasion when it works at all. Even with the animation turned off, I can't leave the Wundermap page open for too long or my entire computer slows to a crawl. Everyone I work with has had similar complaints and we are all quite sad to hate something that we once loved so much. I guess my idea would be to undo whatever "upgrades" are causing this and be awesome again.

109 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AerinAerin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Del M.Del M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep forgetting and trying WU again, then am reminded how bad the new site is. It was great before!! I just tried to change the city to a place where I am going (Northeast, Maryland) and it gave me Northeast MI. Please change it back, it worked.

• SkipasanSkipasan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally went over to the new wundermap - this thing is terrible, doesn't update as needed, animation is terribly slow. It's virtually unusable!!

• PomerPomer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to constantly check tropical storms in the western pacific to get regular updates. Wunderground was my go-to site to get typhoon forecasts and current conditions. Recently though just like Aerin said, I can't use the site. I have trouble on my very nice home computer. It's impossible on my work computer. Could you undo the "New wundermap" its really not that great.

• BBBZZZBBBZZZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the other people, go back to what it was. We use it on the golf course because it was accurate, smooth, and updated.

This "new" version is jumpy because the animation is an hour apart per frame. Bring it back to 10 minute intervals.

This morning I searched for another interactive radar and found one. They will be getting my advertising dollar. Why do they like to mess around with things. If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

• fire883fire883 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new change to the WunderMap stinks. The video is jumpy (like the other posters have said) and it just is not user friendy anymore. They need to go back to the pre NBC buy-out WunderMap (who also owns The weather channel). Also bring back the screen saver they had it was great.

• bluehat111111bluehat111111 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Faadan is probably right.

Given time this site will fail and a new one will take its place. The people that helped kill it will get a job elsewhere and do the same thing. Pity, it used to really good. The New Coke rises.

Faadan is probably right.

Given time this site will fail and a new one will take its place. The people that helped kill it will get a job elsewhere and do the same thing. Pity, it used to really good. The New Coke rises.

• FAADANFAADAN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think they read any of these comments, it's just a way for us to vent and them not to be bothered.

My suggestion is to systematically remove all the changes you've made to Wunderground since you first laid hands on it. You bought it for a good reason: It was a great site. What makes you think you should "improve" it?

Send your designers and marketing people home. Leave it alone (once you repair what you've broken).

• SigSaurSigSaur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No specifics but beginning to feel the same way. WunderGround was recommended to me by a family member. A retired, long serving pilot (hueys in Nam & 20?, 30? yrs. @TWA)

• OobertOobert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is why animation is broken for me. I get 1000s of these errors.

GET http://radartiles-ak.wxug.com/radartilearchive/2013/06/23/14/30/8/61/93.png 404 (Not Found) wundermap.min.js:1
        Cross-origin image load denied by Cross-Origin Resource Sharing policy. www.wunderground.com/:1
        GET http://radartiles-ak.wxug.com/radartilearchive/2013/06/23/14/30/8/68/95.png 404 (Not Found) wundermap.min.js:1
        Cross-origin image load denied by Cross-Origin Resource Sharing policy

Feedback and Knowledge Base