What's your idea for improving the WunderMap?

I use Google Chrome and the latest update killed radar and wundermap.

I use Google Chrome and the latest update killed radar and wundermap. Fix the problem!

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alan DouglassAlan Douglass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rendering in Chrome browser crunched. Also login difficulty when trying to upload pictures.

Can offer a screen print if given the option here.

• kneedeepincatnipkneedeepincatnip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using latest Chrome browser. The radar appears and disappears when zooming in close. If I zoom way out the radar is fine. It also has performance issues with Chrome, slow to load, choppy when scrolling around the map.

Glad I found this post, I'm not the only one having this issue.

IE 11 works fine with it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Chrome. The old version was better. With the new version all the data on the maps does not appear visible. The upper bar disappears, parts of the map go to just the white map version, and the last radar frame will often not show anything when there is plenty going on. Quite disappointing!

• Frank C.Frank C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having the same problem with Firefox. I'm viewing Wundermap using Firefox 29.0.1 on Windows XP, When the page first loads, and upon zooming in or out, the radar overlay is visible; but it disappears when the map auto-reloads. Please fix asap.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with these specific complaints about layers almost appearing and disppearing at will. If you click to add a layer another may disappear etc. I have tried on both Chrome (my preferred browser) and IE 11 and the issues are the same in both in my opinion.

I have been a paid member since 2008 and this 'improving' the Wundermap is taking a toll on my preference for using Weather Underground 100% of the time. Worse yet, it's severe thunderstorm and tornado season up here in MN now and even the radar layer is working sometimes and not at all others.

• Pranay SethiAdminPranay Sethi (User Experience Designer, Weather Underground) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Davey126, @MotoJPV
        Thanks for investigating the plugin that's interfering with the functionality. We will also look for any optimizations that we can do on our end.

We are aware of the slowness problems, and will be working on improving the performance soon.
        What is the border disappearing issue that you referred to MotoJPV? Can you maybe send a screenshot?

• MotoJPVMotoJPV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everything is choppy and takes forever (about 10 seconds for the initial load, 30-120 seconds per page for refreshes) to load in chrome. The borders disappear except for the "Current" frame. Stopping the animation will help, but barely since the refreshes take so long. I went through my extensions and the only one that I found that I thought might cause a problem was PinIT. Deleting that caused a marginal improvement, but nothing close to acceptable.

I checked in IE 10 and it runs far better, but still no where near as fast as it used to when I first started using it couple of years ago.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Radar map is useless. I'll check back in a few months to see if you have a decent radar. I use to depend on this site. Shameful radar

• Davey126Davey126 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my case the culprit was a relatively obscure Chrome extension called "Minimal Scrollbar". Adding 'http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap'; to the exception list corrected the display problem. However, given the number of similar reports other scrollbar extensions may be interfering with the display of full screen wundermap on Chrome, Opera and possibly Firefox. Hope this helps!

Hi Pranay, thanks for your prompt reply and sorry for my earlier snarky response. I am using Opera 21 on Win 8.1 x64 with reaonably current hardware. Small maps display correctly when entering and navigating wunderground.com. However, 'full screen' maps yield a page with only header information on wunderground.com/wundermap. This happens if the page is opened in a new tab or a separate window. However, I just discovered full screen maps display properly if opened in a 'private' window suggesting a plugin or extension may be at fault. I will do some further troubleshooting (disabling extensions/plugins until I find the culprit) and report back. BTW - maps work perfectly in IE11.

Really? Given the number of similar complaints I am surprised at both the question and timing (6 days later). In a nutshell all that displays is a blank page. Appears to be a chromium issue as similar behaviors in Chrome and Opera 20/21.

Feedback and Knowledge Base