How can we improve WunderMap?

Adjusting Radar length awkward ... jerky radar too

Ok, it's 7:50 in the morning. How do I view the last 4 hours of radar? It doesn't appear that I can. I can ask for 3-7:00 am, but not 3 to current time.
Also, the radar is HORRIBLY jerky. Frames are missing. It seems that I am getting 10-12 frames if I ask for an hour ... and 10-12 frames if I ask for 4 hours. What gives? Can that be right? Can I get 40-50 frames?
This version is NOT better. Please make it easy to get the last "x hours" of radar. Or perhaps, the last 10, 20, 30 ,40 frames from current time .... like the previous radar worked.
"Future" radar should be a "click this box" option, in my opinion.

172 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    hitchcockjchitchcockjc shared a merged idea: Radar animation loops still don't work properly  ·   · 
    comp8088comp8088 shared a merged idea: This is not an idea, it is a defect report about the animated radar.  ·   · 

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SmokeezSmokeez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Pranay,
        I am not having trouble with your site at all. I suggest those who are having problems, trying updating their system. Comcast is my internet provider, and since I upgraded to their new system, your site now works great, and I mean all features are smooth and load up fast. I have IE 7. Hope this comment will help others.

• DonemDonem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it incredibly ridiculous that the "classic" WunderMap site which we are warned has not been supported since November 18th, and I believe that's Nov 18, 2102 - almost two years, still works better than the new site. Is Wunderground feeling the effects of its The Weather Channel ownership?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Radar is still horribly inconsistent and jerky. The European coverage makes storms look like they suddenly disappear, and then there's no update for a 30 minute period. Then suddenly they reappear.

• Pranay SethiAdminPranay Sethi (User Experience Designer, Weather Underground) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update:
        We will be launching updated time and animation controls on WunderMap in about a couple of weeks. This update will hopefully fix some of the problems highlighted in this thread, and make longer animations much easier to get.

I will keep you guys updated and will be looking for feedback.

Cheers!

Radar animation works good when I click 4 times in a row. Then on the 5th time I click It goes Black screen. Then I can't see the loop. I must leave the weather site for 15 minutes or so and sometimes it fixes itself.

• WarrenvilleJeffWarrenvilleJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with ATPTourFan,, "the option to limit 12 frames is broken ... you cannot see the checkbox so there is no way to determine whether this limit is in effect or not." Yeah, something is goofed up there and you can't see what is going on.
        Also agree with John G: the radar freezes up by doing anything, even typing a note like this freezes WU. IT's really bad, especially in the last 3-4 weeks it seems. Not very useful right now.

I noticed that "future radar" now has a border on it to distinguish it from real radar. That was a great idea !! Thank you.

The word "current" is just a little confusing, just FYI. To me, "current" means the last, latest, single frame of the radar. Perhaps "default" or "reset" would be better? What it really means is "radar for the last hour," I think. It's a great idea, just need to brainstorm on a better word for description.
        I am back to hating this wundermap again. Click on any change (time, overlays, etc.) and their is over a 90% chance of it freezing and have to restart IE (on Windows 7). This crashing seen to happen on any computer... different OS, browsers, etc. Ughh. Help !!

• SmokeezSmokeez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also having the same problems. Sometimes the map takes several minutes to load. The radar comes up but no map at times. Once the slooooooooooooow loading is up and running, your site is great. Got to fix the radar maps.

I am having the same issue especially now that thunderstorm season is here. it was so much easier and faster with the previous version

• ATPTourFanATPTourFan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Limit animation to 12 frames option is broken... you cannot see the checkbox so there's no way to determine whether this limit is in effect or not.

• John GJohn G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Radar freezes up when I change settings, wunderground should have left the site alone...

• brokenbroken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of constantly changing the way things "LOOK" maybe you should get them to "WORK" first !!!!! Classic WORKED and nothing has since!!!

• KATKAT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it is great to have the last 12 hours . . . not just a few hours
        what's with the current button, click it . . . presto! it des not work
        the previous wondermap worked better

• EdEd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just paid $10 for no animation? How long has this been a problem? When can I expect this to get fixed? Or refund my $10!

• ATPTourFanATPTourFan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree with original post regarding being able to request the "last X hours/minutes" and have that time window slide forward as time moves forward.

Static windows of time make no sense and force users to view future content if they only want to see the latest "real" animation frames. They also eventually mislead the user as they do not slide forward, resulting in the same loop over and over, eventually ignoring actual radar/sat frames that exist beyond the static time window.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base