In order to backup, restore, and carry the subscription to all WU apps regardless of platform, you need to register for a WU ID from within the app you made your purchase. This creates a backup of the purchase record in our database so that you can use the WU ID to log into other apps to get ad-free.
Backing up your subscription
- WU Weather app: on the device that you first purchased the subscription, open app > tap on Settings (gear icon) > Sign-in > Register or login for WU Account. After successfully registering or logging in, our database will have a backup of your purchase.
- Storm app: on the device that you first purchased the subscription, open app > go to Upgrades tile > Register or login for WU Account. After successfully registering or logging in, our database will have a backup of your purchase.
- If you've backed up your subscription with the steps above, you can login with your WU ID and you'll remove the ads.
Why can't I just restore with my Apple ID?
On the same device, Apple will remember your Apple ID and remember your ad-free subscription purchase, but if you have another iOS device, it will not automatically transfer the purchase. It's a limitation of Apple for which we had to build our own WU ID in order to accommodate a higher level of service.
What if I don't have the device I originally purchased on or I've factory-reset the device and Apple ID didn't remember the purchase?
Go ahead and create a WU ID in the app, then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Subject: subscription issue
- Email you used to register for your WU ID
- A copy of your purchase receipt: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204088