I suggest you ...

Require Actual Location Photo Was Taken

When someone uploads a weather related photo it should be mandatory that they state where the photo was taken such as city and state in the U.S. or city and country outside the U.S. I see so many beautiful photos being posted but so many of them are missing a crucial piece of information; where was it taken??

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    sunlakedudesunlakedude shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • glenn59glenn59 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nah, I'm not important enough to be in an alphabet soup named agency. But, company policies are what they are.
        Also, during some of our humanitarian aid travels, we only have to wait until we have left to post info.
        I agree that with the
        known location, I too might be able to visit where some of these fantastic views are. With the world going the way it is though, sadly even that may not be possible, but I can at least enjoy other's pictures.
        Maybe you will come up with a way to solve this. I hope so anyway. Good luck brother!

• sunlakedudesunlakedude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, we're prohibitied at work from posting sensitive information about the company's internal affairs or future plans or current difficulties to social media sites and I would never do such a thing. I guess you must work for the FBI, CIA or NSA that even a vague description of the location a photo was taken could get you fired. I just think that at least a vague idea as to where a photo was taken should be mandantory. I mean if you were reading a magazine such as National Geo and the photos were not captioned the pictures themselves would lose much of their relavance and I think the same thing applies to Wunderphotos. But, by all means don't jeopardize your career.

Yes, it is true. Some of us will be released from employment if we are found to have posted photos with certain metadata attached, especially on social media. I too would like to know locations of some of the most awesome photos I've ever seen. Plus, it removes some doubt of photo having been manipulated.
        I was only attempting to offer an explanation as to why some photos would have the data not included, and making it mandatory would prevent some postings.

I cannot imagine a situation where the location would be confidential but how about the state, province or nation where the photo was taken? I mean really? The lack of location has become so common that it seems that at least half the photos uploaded that I look at lack that information and, in most cases, it was just failing to fill out that field. Photos are always most interesting to all of us if we know where they were taken. Why be so secretive? If I posted a photo of an ominous-looking thunderstorm wall cloud would it be a breach of confidentially to simply say it was taken in "central Oklahoma"? Puh-leeze!

Some of us are forbidden to reveal location under penalty, so I will refrain from posting nature's beauty from remote locations as you wish. I'll just share them where just the beauty is enough.

Katy, at one time not showing a location where the photo was taken was a rare exception. Now it's widespread and some photes of large cityscapes don't show a location. I think it should be mandatory and if someone uploading a photo of a remote location can't pinpoint an exact location they should have to put SOMETHING in that field or the photo won't upload. Entirely too many photos are being uploaded with that field blank and I think it's just matter of forgetfulness on the part of the uploader that they would do this. AK for a remote Alaskan location would be far better than leaving that field completely blank. Completely blank location fields should not be allowed by WU. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

• katy99780katy99780 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many of the places I take photos do not have an official 'location,' nearest Post Office might be the only officially recognized location, and those can be few and far between. You may notice many photos from Alaska have 'AK, AK on them for location. That is because there is no 'officially' recognized name for many unpopulated areas where I live. Just can't be helped.

Feedback and Knowledge Base