How can we improve the PWS service?

View stats

I've always kept an eye on the view counter under the station info on the right hand side of the page. It only shows the current month and resets at the end of each month.

It would be cool if there was more insight as to the traffic. Like not only the current month but months in the past, totals for the year, graphs that display the traffic to one's weather station over a user selectable time period., and display the origin of the views on a map.

I've always been curious as to the traffic to my station.

234 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mckTXawsmckTXaws shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    greg98014greg98014 shared a merged idea: weather station views  ·   · 
    BeaumontriseBeaumontrise shared a merged idea: Allow more detailed site stats.  ·   · 
    FuzzOverlordFuzzOverlord shared a merged idea: As a weather station owner, I would like to be able to see who has looked at my data.  ·   · 
    ready4cready4c shared a merged idea: Who is looking at my station?  ·   · 
    reviewed  ·  angelafritzangelafritz responded  · 

Hi all,

Regarding showing page views for your PWS since the beginning:

The way we originally built that feature, we actually reset the counter every month, so we don’t have previous months’ hit count data.

If we added this feature, the counter would need to start on the day that we launched it.

Please leave some comments on this idea and let us know if this is something you’re still interested in, given the caveat.

Thanks!
    Angela

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • tomtom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have noticed that on some WU web pages the page views are available on others are not. Can you advise. Is this a setting within each station. ?

• frank681frank681 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice but not biggie, I keep an eye on mine and not just once a year or anything I can go an see and keep my own records. The origin would be nice but that is not very accurate as going by internet address and that is not that great mine would show up an hour from where I am at, so without everyone logging in with a city would not be worth much.

• mckTXawsmckTXaws commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am still interested. Having analytic info on visit activity would be interesting to see. Who's viewing my data, what days are most active and if possible where the views are coming from.

An alternative or side idea would be to have some sort of feedback feature where viewers can rate and comment on a station. Similar to how one would rate or comment on a photo. I'm always interested in what the public thinks and wants and in return helps me better my station.

• TujungaWXTujungaWX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just "reloaded" my station 10 times and the counter increases by 30. This system needs some "work"

I used to care about stats. It encouraged me to keep the station up and reporting at significant personal effort when i thought the station was appreciated by viewers but I care little about them now since they appear to be easy to obfuscate ( i.e. multiple hits by the same ip address in a short period of time - regardless of any significant weather events). It depends on how you count them and I haven't seen the algorithm published anywhere.

• Max NettletonMax Nettleton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As for my station, I would miss the monthly views. After tweaking the software, setting up the station, etc.. it is nice to see how many people actually use the information. However having historical information other than the reset each month is not important to me. This is not an affiliate marketing site so historical months are not important. Just keep the monthly reset.
        Thank you,
        Stonehenge

• JEBTucsonJEBTucson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After this dashboard mess, it's probably best to leave the counters as they are. Please no more improvements.

James

• JRUSLINGJRUSLING commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would have no problem with resetting the current stats in order to start collecting historic information.

• frank681frank681 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see this. If it could be done, now sometime you see in Special Statement section.
        But if the PWS could enter there own would be great and sure lots of people would love to see this info, I know in my area in the Ozark Mountains people call me to see what is going on here when it shows.

• BCinSDBCinSD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK, here's another theory about why WU stations may be getting more hits this year. As of this afternoon, I'm up to 8014 views since 4/1/2013. (That's significantly more than the 125 hits/day I averaged in 2012.) Recently I noticed that on the Google News homepage, under the weather icons for the local weather forecast (San Diego in my case), there are links for Weather Underground, The Weather Channel, and AccuWeather. My guess it that with this exposure on Google News, more people are discovering how much better WU is compared to the other weather sites.

It would be interesting to know when Google added the WU link to its News homepage.

Someone thought it might have something to do with Facebook.
        My stats jumped 20 fold!
        Almost 17,000 (Yes - seventeen thousand) hits from Feb. 1, 2013 to Feb. 14,2013. Would like to know if there is anything in common with stations reporting increased hits. (i.e. webcams, solar data, location, etc) KCATUJUN4

• wx5rpwx5rp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, Matt! I'm sure it's not a huge deal regardless, just a curiosity.

• Matt SchaeferAdminMatt Schaefer (User Interaction Lead, Weather Underground) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've asked around regarding the increased view stats, and there aren't any clear answers. It might be related to us changing the configuration file for search engine bots on our site — some of the hits could be coming from them. Short answer: we don't know yet.

I can guarantee you, however, that it has nothing to do with TWC :p

I can't say I'm too excited even though TWC promises hands off. I don't want to WAKE UP WITH AL on my WU page. Big corporations have a habit of wrecking things. For a great example of this, see what Microsoft is doing to Skype. But this is way off-topic.

Please tell me WU and TWC have not merged.

As for the hit count theory being related to TWC, I doubt it. I've been seeing these ballooned counts for years. My station has been online since Dec 2004, and I can't remember a time when I didn't see inflated traffic.

• tonynypdtonynypd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could be linked to the Merger of WU and the Weather Channel. Perhaps they are hitting the PWS for data automatically or from their web sites. The sudden jump in activity was right around the time when the merger was announced.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base