or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    bennyboy92bennyboy92 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AIMWO4AIMWO4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to hide, archive or delete my old PWS Station ID: KCOLITTL91. It shows up as red and not reporting. It would be better if it could be deemed inactive or archived.

• rmapplebyrmappleby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's great news - and thanks for the heads up on the new data deletion feature, as that sounds like it might be the perfect solution for me!

• angelafritzAdminangelafritz (Product Manager, Weather Underground) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can delete the data associated with that station, and don't worry, we're not using it. :)

Since this is a lot of data to delete, I would suggest waiting until we're finished with our new data deletion feature, which will allow PWS owners to delete data in bulk.

• rmapplebyrmappleby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also think it should be possible to remove PWS stations, or at the very least, properly delete the data associated with them, rather than just hiding it from view.

I've got only one PWS that I have been using to develop the software to upload data to WU. The history is full of junk readings (I have windspeeds of over 900mph, rainfall of over 10" in a day, and pressure readings of > 3500hpa). Attempting to delete them clearly doesn't work - it just hides the data from some (not all) views.

Now that I have the software working properly, and the weather station well-sited, I would like to reset the weather station historical data (knowing that it contains a lot of junk data) and start recording historical data properly. But it seems the only way to do this is to start another PWS, leaving the old one with its bad data festering in the WU historical databases.

But I hate to think that WU are keeping that data and using it for forecasts, or worse, selling it to people. The implication of having unreliable inputs, and not being able to delete any data points is that an unknown set of the WU forecast data is polluted and unreliable.

• hajovkahajovka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sure, I know that, but in my case, PWS produced some data and could not be removed. You can also think about hiding PWS from PWS page, instead of deleting it. And add some button to show all my PWS, not just active, but also inactive. Maybe this can be also option.

I think that your solution is great for both sites. We will not have unwanted PWS on our My PWS page and you will have your data.
        I like to have an order, so for me it will be good to did not have something (inactive test PWS) that I did not want :)

• angelafritzAdminangelafritz (Product Manager, Weather Underground) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately we cannot delete a PWS, since it stores all of the historical weather information that we need for the website.

Would it be satisfactory to remove the old, inactive stations from your "My PWS" list in your settings?

I am interested in finding out from you where it is bothersome to have the old, inactive stations on the site.

Thanks!

It will be nice to delete obsolete or unwanted PWS. Because when PWS it is used once, it could not be delete, so we wanted this feature to be possible.

• KNYLISBO1KNYLISBO1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While an vacation some times the station hangs up and there is nobody around to either reboot the PC or restart the weather station. Unfortunately this condition could go on for a week. Also if a severe lightening storm is predicted, the PC is shut down for the duration of the storm.

Feedback and Knowledge Base