How can we improve the PWS service?

Disappearing Station

On two occasions I could see the Tabular Weather History for my station updated every 5 minutes, but my station disappeared from the WunderMap, RapidFire Flash view didn’t show any data, and my station wasn’t listed under Weather Stations for my town under Current Conditions. After waiting some amount of time my station re-appears. I’ve noticed something similar for some airports near my station.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    joe002joe002 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jemsjems commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm seeing this as well with my station, around 8:20am daily. I'm not sure how long it takes until my station is included in the list again.
        Perhaps someone can provide that answer? What criteria determines whether it is kicked out or not?

• joe002joe002 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I've rebooted my Internet interface 3 more times and each time I was dropped from the map.

What about rebooting my Internet interface causes WU to think my station is bad (the reported data looks good)?

• joe002joe002 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. So it was reporting and displaying my Tabular Weather History every 5 minutes, but nothing else was displayed. Is that what occurs when the algorithm believes there's error(s) in the data?

I'm sure the temperature, etc. were all OK - no jumps in anything, but I did reboot my Internet interface just before the other WU display settings disappeared, so there was a 10 minute gap in me sending data. Does a gap in sending data cause the algorithm to think there's an error?

• angelafritzAdminangelafritz (Product Manager, Weather Underground) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi -- This is likely because our quality control algorithms caught some errors in your data. When this happens, we remove them from the searchable parts of the website, so we aren't showing people erroneous data.

Usually this happens because your temperature sensor isn't shielded from the sun properly (ie. it's getting too hot). Placing your PWS in the shade can help a lot with this problem.

Feedback and Knowledge Base