What's your idea for improving the WunderMap?

Get the satellite image loop to actually work

Personally, after using this since it came out, I find this interface EXTREMELY frustrating. Your previous version did a good job integrating animated satellite imagery with radar, or even by itself. In this version, the satellite imagery is, honestly, COMPLETELY UNUSABLE, even by itself. I am patient and have been trying this for months, but this is just too frustrating to continue.

The best enhancement you can make is it to de-clutter the sidebar on the interface (most of that stuff is completely unneeded.)

The best fix you can make is to get the satellite images to animate properly.

67 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    rpp618rpp618 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt SchaeferAdminMatt Schaefer (User Interaction Lead, Weather Underground) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@thefranks If you save prefs after selecting the "past 4 hours" preset, that particular setting should persist.

Unchecking the 12-frame limit will give you radar frames every 6 minutes (~40 frames) but the satellite will still be limited to 5 frames since we offer them on the hour. The smoothness between radar frames at this point will really be up to what your machine can handle. The 12-frame limit is a mechanism to conserve resource use.

On another note, we're planning on streamlining the radar and satellite animation features via the beta perhaps as early as next week. I'll be looking for feedback. Keep your eyes peeled!

• TheFranksTheFranks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Matt, in all fairness I have to say that after fiddling with the animation controls EACH TIME I bring it up, I can come up with an approximation of what the old Wundermap AUTOMATICALLY showed with radar and satellite engaged. It still does not look quite as smooth as I remember, but if I choose a 4 hour time period and change the speed to medium I can see the trend of the weather systems in the Continent view. Is there a way to save these settings? What would happen If I removed the 12 frame restriction? Would it be smoother, but take longer?

• allpaflaallpafla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are undergoing severe weather at the moment (Tornado Watch/Warnings) and trying to use Wundermap at the LOCAL zoom with animation is useless. At the start of the scan, the radar overlay disappears until the timeline stops at the end. How can I get directions and details from a blank radar display? C'mon guys. we've been complaining about this "NEW" upgrade since its rollout... when are you gonna do something about it. PS... didn't even bother activating the satellite along with the severe weather display.

• AquariaAquaria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Matt, you're either impossibly stupid or a blatant liar. I know for a fact that the satellite imagery used to progress at a darned good clip along with the radar if you layered them on top of each other. I checked the satellite every day to see what storms might be coming our way in South Texas. My mother lives in Mexico half the year, and, used to, I could have a basic idea of when to worry about her down there. Not anymore!

• TheFranksTheFranks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Matt, your memory is faulty. I know that with the old Wundermap I could watch satellite images move, followed by radar images moving overlaid on them. They were never synced to each other exactly, but both moved. How can you say that you only ever had one frame per hour? I could see from the time display that there was a period of movement and the images moved for that entire time. I cannot recall the length of time, unfortunately. Why can't this be accomplished now?

• saltycatsaltycat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree. The satellite presentation is unusable in animation since you cannot follow the progression of the previous image to the next like you can on the NWS site. I find myself going to the NWS so the loops show the progression where yours just don't. I never had this problem before so perhaps revert to the old one which worked way better than this “improvement.” Perhaps there is a user setting we need to install to make it work as designed? My computer is a 6 month old Lennovo running win 7.
        The radar does not seem to present any issues for me at least?
        Thanks Guys!
        jm

• hjmannhjmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@matt: Zero animation on satellite. Clunky animation on radar. What a terrible job you have. Trying to explain this destruction of "once upon a time" the best weather website out there. Just make it work and cut out the lame explanations. OR find someone who can make it work and do us all a favor and quit. Whoever decided to make these changes should go.

• mrayersmrayers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the OP.

The Wundermap was much more useful before the change. My biggest complaint is that it now seems that the animated frames are spaced about 1 hour apart, when, if I remember correctly, in the older Wundermap frames were 20 minutes apart.

This makes the animation look very jumpy, and misses a lot of detail that was once available.

I use a browser that has dual engines. Wundermap does not display well in the default (WebKit) mode, but is a little better in "Retro Mode."

I can live with the other changes, but now, without a good animation, I rarely look at the Wundermap.

• emoduloremodulor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

are you having the same issue I am where the images are animating too slowly?

Feedback and Knowledge Base