What's your idea for improving the WunderMap?

Radar Disappears at Different Zoom Levels

Why does the radar images disappear sometimes when I change the size of the map, zoom in and out??

Thanks
Lee

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mainemanmaineman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • 007nomad007nomad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still have this problem with firefox, when using default Wundermap settings.

If I turn off radar option > smoothing, it seems to work even with radar option "00Q (world base reflectivities)" and "-- TDWR --"

And as DonpK pointed out, it seems to work if you change those settings, ( I tried NOR 124 NMI / 0.50*) with smoothing on or off.

• DonpKDonpK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I may have found part of what was causing my problem with the radar display at different zoom levels.

The NEXRAD option menu was set to "00Q (world base reflectivities)" which for some reason does not appear update at zoom levels greater than 10m/20km. And the Doppler radar was on "-- TDWR --" which is not a radar setting, but the heading for the drop-down menu. When I choose other radar options, the updates appear normal at all zoom levels. Since I had bookmarked this configuration, I was seeing the problem each time I loaded the map.

With the proper base reflectivity settings, the radar display updates regularly and at all zoom levels.

• DonpKDonpK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure this problem has been corrected. I just posted a comment with a screenshot of the the radar at three different zoom levels at the same point in time. The images at different zoom level are dramatically different. Also, the different zoom levels don't seem to refresh at the same time. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Here is the link: http://help.wunderground.com/forums/179836-wundermap/suggestions/4145627-radar-display-different-at-different-zoom-levels

• icerabbiticerabbit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The radar no longer disappears, but there's still a lot of work to be done with regards to fluidity. Seems like the history is only in two hour increments, creating a very jumpy view; and now the weather stations flash in and out with each frame. I think those should just stay put and update the temperature and wind.

• dlb703dlb703 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not fixed. The WunderMap storm tracks and animation don't work anywhere near as well as they used to. Plus, as a subscriber I'm pissed that it's so damn hard to communicate with Wunderground.

• TobeusTobeus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the issue mentioned in this idea appears to be fixed. Thanks for getting that taken care of. The zoom loop stopping is noticeable, but a minor inconvenience compared to the previous show-stopper bug of no radar data on zoom levels. I didn't notice the original post about the Share & Link button so my apologies about that. Keep up the good work and lets get that new interface working spot-on with no glitches ;-)

• WayneInKirklandWayneInKirkland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But now if you are looping radar and hit zoom, the loop stops and you have to restart it manually after the zoom. (Although the radar data doesn't seem to get lost like before)

• diverjerrydiverjerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't know about the bug fixed, but I did use Weather Underground today and did different zoom levels and all worked fine. Didn't do a lot of activity, but I was surprised to see that it was working. Hopefully the problem is fixed, Thank You.

• WayneInKirklandWayneInKirkland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just in case it's useful, on my Windows 7 system, Chrome and Firefox both have problems with zoom. Internet explorer seems to work fine.

Yes sometimes when I zoom in, I loose radar animation, don't even see white bar, I do see the turning gear or whatever on right side by the word radar. Then I noticed if I change the zoom, the animation comes back. Always comes back if I refresh or go to region button. Been this way for some time, months at least. I just live with it and change zoom level to get it back. Use the latest FF version 21.0.

• TobeusTobeus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have this issue. It works fine at the default view, but as soon as you zoom in using the + and - buttons you loose the ability to animate the map. Only the final frame of radar data appears. It looks like it is loading since the little white bar fills up, but it never finishes.

I have the same problem and am using FF 21.0, but it also happened on the last version of FF. It seems to get right if I select Region, but when using the + or _ it sometimes, not always looses the animation radar.

• 007nomad007nomad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...and /or the radar precip location changes (or is not updated) at different zoom levels.
        I hit the "Now" button to try to get an up to date image, but the radar image does not change, and the date/time is current. If I do a page refresh the radar may change to something that seems accurate.
        I shouldn't need to do a page refresh to get current data, and the time code should report the timestamp of the data displayed.

• icerabbiticerabbit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it doesn't refresh all data by default with any map manipulation; with zoom in, it should pull the weather data at a higher (more detailed) resolution, and with zoom out; it can retain what data it already had, show it smaller and patch in the new data on the sides.
        At least that's how it would be most bandwidth efficient and best for the viewer to show as much detail as needed/possible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base