WunderBlogs and WunderPhotos are forums for our members to express their interest in weather, the outdoors, climate change and other related topics. Some blogs, such as Dr. Jeff Masters' blog and Dr. Ricky Rood's blog, have additional Community Standards that apply only to them. Our Terms of Service applies to all content posted to Weather Underground, which includes the Photo Gallery Agreement. This document is meant to provide pointers for operating within the Wunderground community according to our policies.
Rules of the Road
- Please do not carry on personal disputes on blogs or photos.
- No personal attacks. This includes, but is not limited to: name calling, harassment or bullying toward any other member.
- No hate speech of any kind is allowed.
- Foul or obscene language or content of any kind is not allowed.
- Threats and intimidation will not be tolerated, and behavior of this type which extends into the real world will be dealt with by extreme action.
- Keep conversations on topic and avoid adult-only topic themes. Our site is open to users of all ages, so please respect others.
- Posting comments which contain links to external sites is allowed, but please keep the number of links to a maximum of 10-12. Links should also be relevant to the blog topic and/or discussion topic at hand.
- Do not quote content which violates the Rules of the Road.
- Do not circumvent a ban or any other administrative action by using another username or creating a new username. Most bans last 24 hours or less, please accept the ban.
- No monomania.
- No spam.
The "Rules of the Road" pertain to all types of content posted on our site, including media like photos, videos, links or quotes originating from external sources. Generally, links to non-commercial (that is, personal) weather sites, personal sites/blogs, and especially photographers' sites (even commercial) are allowed. However, if linked webpages or websites are found to contain content that goes beyond our own rules or is found to be abusive, the content and/or any reference to it will be removed. Removal of such content and any action taken against a member who violates our policies and/or Terms of Service is exercised at the discretion of Admin and site moderators.
You are solely responsible for all content you post on our site. We are not responsible for and do not review all user generated content on our site. However, we reserve the right to review, screen, delete, edit and/or move any content posted on our site, and without obligation.
Blog authors have generally free reign in their own blogs. Bloggers and photo uploaders can ban anyone from their blog who is not an Admin. This privilege also comes with some responsibility. Please try to keep your blog or photos free of content that is against these policies.
Sometimes a blog or photo owner might be forced to set your handle to ignore or ban. It is not the policy of Admin to get involved with interpersonal issues occurring amongst members. However, if a WU member's behavior is found to be in violation of the Community Standards, contact WunderBlogAdmin.
Blogs and photos are first reviewed by site moderators. Our featured blogs are more heavily monitored than the blogs at large, due to significantly higher traffic, but site moderators are also frequently visiting community member blogs and photos to ensure these rules are being adhered to. Like you, our blog moderators are bound to these same guidelines. And when rules are broken, action is taken. Bans can either be temporary or permanent, depending on the offense. Most bans are temporary and short-lived.
Members can always control moderation on their own blogs and photos, and site moderators will step in only where and when it's necessary. Additionally, there is the flagging system that all members are encouraged to use, and we ask that you keep these guidelines in mind when choosing to flag any content on blogs or photos.
Admin reviews the content which is flagged by the community. We also check for abuse and incorrectly flagged items. Items with a certain number of flags are automatically deleted. "Gang flagging" is not allowed. If Admin (per the Community Standards) agrees with the community’s flag, the item will stay deleted. Otherwise, or if the item was flagged erroneously or without a valid reason, the flag will be removed. Keep in mind that a huge volume of comments are flagged each day. We do the best we can to review them all in a timely manner.
Admin and moderators are heavily focused on diplomacy and fairness when enforcing the Community Standards.
Do not enter games of oneupmanship with trolls or bloggers you find to be annoying. You will be banned along side them, as your verbal jousts consume the space and time everyone else is sharing. If you come across a troll or another blogger whom you find to be irritating, please use the site reporting tools and your ignore list.
Means of Action
Issues in the blog will be handled in the following ways:
- Ignore - Having your blog removed from the directory, removing easy access to it. This is more like a warning and typically lasts 7 days, if there are no further problems.
- Ban - This removes your member handle from the blogs completely, blocking access to all entries. The length of a ban is dependent upon the severity of the violation. Bans may range anywhere from a few minutes, to a few hours or permanent, depending on the offense.
- Comment Removal - Admin will remove any comments which violate the Community Standards or Terms of Service.
- IP Ban - People who repeatedly circumvent bans will be the recipients of an IP ban, which blocks access to the entire site.
- Troll Wipe - This Admin action is reserved for flagrant, repetitive violations of the Terms of Service. This will remove the user completely, making it impossible for them to access that member handle again. Admin will permanently ban the account, as well as all other accounts owned by the same user.
WunderBlogAdmin is a generic handle used by our employees to interact with bloggers. This gives a single point of contact for our blogging members to report issues or dispute bans. WunderPhotoAdmin handles photo-related issues.
As noted in our Terms of Service, Weather Underground does not maintain 24/7 watch and administration is not real time. Administrators will deal with problems and answer messages that warrant a reply when they can, so please be patient.
If you have any questions about these rules please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.